Best Foot Forward Celebrates 10 Years
Posted on: April 8, 2022 in Transportation News
The inaugural Best Foot Forward Summit 2022 brought together steering committees, transportation, and local government agency partners to celebrate the program’s 10-year anniversary. It all began in 2012 when Best Foot Forward (BFF) was established with a goal to educate Central Floridians about the life saving importance of pedestrian safety.
Within a decade of the program’s humble beginnings, BFF has made significant impact, issuing nearly 11,000 warnings and citations, completing 563 enforcement details, monitoring 251 crosswalks, and completing 680 educational presentations and events.
The BFF program continues to advocate for safer streets for all road users by focusing on behavior change and, as Florida law requires, getting more drivers to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks.
During the program, several people and projects were recognized for their exemplary work and dedication to the program. Congratulations to all nominees and winners.
- Amanda Day, Day Communications & former executive director of Bike/Walk Central Florida, Best Foot Forward Lifetime Achievement Award
- Sheryl Aldarondo & Courtney Gleaton of Orlando Health, Above & Beyond Award
- Sgt. Matthew Blunt of Casselberry Police Department, Best Foot Forward “Triple E” Award for Enforcement
- Pine Hills Rd. & El Trio Way RRFB Project (Orange County) Lauren Torres, Cristina Pichardo-Cruz and Alissa Torres , Best Foot Forward “Triple E” Award for Engineering
- Leilani Vaiaoga of MetroPlan Orlando, Best Foot Forward “Triple E” Award for Education
Thank you to our Board Chair, Commissioner Mayra Uribe for participating in the program and sharing your personal stories and passion for pedestrian safety. We also want to give a big thank you to the Bike/Walk Central Florida team for managing the Best Foot Forward program and organizing a fantastic summit. We enjoyed the opportunity to look back at all the monumental changes the BFF program has brought to the region and to recognize champions within our community who continue to lead pedestrian safety efforts. #iYield4peds